Tuesday, December 14, 2010

There's no "I" in team, but there is one in Heisman!

I've never understood the big deal about the Heisman Trophy. It's so strange to me that an amateur team sport makes such a big deal about one player every year.

This is not an anti-Cam Newton post, either. (Although I loved it when he mentioned how his parents do a lot of things behind the scenes to help him!) Newton was definitely the best player I saw this year and even if the allegations prove to be true, I believe he should keep the award. Like Reggie Bush, Newton would have done nothing to improve his talent on the field.

That being said, we know all about the Heisman winners who quickly became NFL busts. The award really doesn't signify much, as far as I'm concerned. We're talking about a sport where you don't even play all of the teams in your own conference and then move on to a 1-game post-season. Are we really that positive that we can select the one best player to treat like a god at the end of the season?

So what's the deal? I'd love to hear from someone who loves the idea of the Heisman and wants to tell me how, just like the bowl season, it's all about tradition. But I wonder if those people still exist in 2010!

No comments: