Saturday, December 29, 2012

New Names for Bowl Games

Here at Grab Bag Sports we have always had fun with the ridiculous names of the meaningless bowls that wrap up the college football season each year. In fact, just for fun I'll list the names of ten "bowls" which may or may not be real games that exist currently or were once played. Try to guess which games on my list are real and which are fake.

1. Bluebonnet Bowl

2. Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl

3. Cigar Bowl

4. Heart of Dallas Bowl

5. Cherry Bowl

6. Aviation Bowl

7. Refrigerator Bowl

8. Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

9. Bacardi Bowl

10. Grabbagsports.com Bowl

(Don't cheat and use the internet! Answers will be provided at the end of this post.)

As I sit here watching the (absolutely real) New Era Pinstripe Bowl, which has featured much more snow than good football, I am beginning to think that we should name the games AFTER they are played. Like, this could be the 2012 Snow Bowl. We could also name the bowls after important events that took place during the games. For example, this game could be named the Geno Smith Safety Bowl, since he has had two safeties already. Or maybe we could just let the game's MVP name the bowl on the field in a post-game interview.

All of these options seem better to me and would likely give me a better chance of remembering exactly what I watched when looking back at past games. It seems like we're limiting our creativity by sticking with the same boring (and usually terrible) bowl titles.

Oh, and #10 is the only title on my list that I made up. The rest are actual names of current or past bowl games. But give us some time and that Grabbagsports.com bowl could happen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have never heard of Cigar Bowl, Refrigerator Bowl or Toilet Bowl.