Sunday, February 2, 2014

Super Bowl XLVIII: Fun with prop bets

We hoped to have more Super Bowl coverage this week, and we even had a non-Blogathon podcast planned for about five minutes! Unfortunately, things got a little busy for us. (We're shooting for an Olympic preview podcast this week, for those who like to hear us talk.)

Still, it's Super Bowl Sunday, and it's going to be a great day. With all the prop bets available for today's big game, I figured I'd weigh in on some of them. Please note, (a) I am not a gambler and (b) I am a Broncos fan. So don't blame me if you lose any money. Also, remember, I already kind of predicted a 49-7 Denver victory.

So here are my predictions for just some of today's available prop bets for Super Bowl XLVIII (2014).

Player to score the first (receiving or rushing) TD: Demaryius Thomas

Longest rush of the game: Russell Wilson

Will Richard Sherman receive a taunting penalty (between kickoff and final whistle)? No.

Will Richard Sherman receive a pass interference penalty? Yes.

Color of liquid dumped on winning coach: Clear.

Seen first after kickoff, Erin Andrews or Pam Oliver: Pam Oliver

Will any member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers be shirtless during their performance? No.

Will Renee Fleming forget or omit one word of the National Anthem? No.

Will Renee Fleming wear gloves? Yes.

Renee Fleming's glove color: Black

(Note: I wish I knew Renee Fleming so she could help me bet this one and we could win a trillion dollars.)

Below are some available "over/under" bets.

Russell Wilson TD passes (2): Under

Marshawn Lynch yard total on first rushing attempt (3.5): Under

Peyton Manning's "Omaha" count (27.5): Over

Renee Fleming's National Anthem length (2:22): Over

Number of times Archie Manning is shown on screen (2.5): Over

Number of times "12th man" is said during the broadcast (2.5): Over

And just for fun, I'll add a couple that are not officially available to bet on, as far as I know.

Number of times broadcasters mention Julius Thomas played basketball (1.5): Over

Will Eric Decker drop a pass? Yes.

Will Jacob Tamme score a touchdown? Yes.

5 comments:

The Speedgeek said...

ONLY 2.5 as the over/under on Archie Manning appearances?!? How do I clear out my bank account and put it all on the "over" in the next two hours?

Mike said...

Yeah, that's the number. I don't remember what the odds were. The singer's glove color is my favorite, though. I figure her family and friends could really mess things up for Vegas, right?

Allen Wedge said...

I actually met Renee Fleming when I worked for BRSO; she was a nice person; but either way I do remember in her rider that she had specific requirements about humidity and temperature levels in her green room, so her wearing gloves would be likely... however its like 55 here today, bad cold/snow weather won't be until tonight.

Mike said...

Shirtless Chili Peppers! Dang.

Mike said...

And the liquid was orange! I think I missed every single one of these, which is an impressive feat in itself. This is also why I never bet.