Wednesday, August 8, 2012

2012 Summer Olympics: August 8

Starting Thursday, I'll be using Twitter instead of posting here about the Olympics.

4:40 p.m. - SPOILER ALERT: NBC messed up.  May-Treanor and Walsh did not.

4:30 p.m. - No, I'm not mad at NBC at all.  My internet feed just jumped forward to catch up with itself and I missed four points.

4:25 p.m. - The online commentator literally just said something like: "The Americans returned it, but it was to middle court, giving the Americans all the time they needed to recover."  Maybe he's just being funny.  He probably thinks most Americans are just going to watch it delayed anyway.  I hope he just keeps referring to both teams as "the Americans" throughout the whole match.

4:20 p.m. - SPOILER ALERT: America will when the gold medal in Women's Beach Volleyball.  Take that, NBC.

4:15 p.m. - OK, so I haven't really done any complaining about NBC.  Enough has been said about it everywhere else on the internet.  But as far as I can tell, I can't watch the Women's Beach Volleyball live on TV.  This is ridiculous.  I can see replaying it in primetime.  That makes sense to me.  But to have basketball, cycling, boxing, wrestling, and whatever else is on right now instead of the two American teams battling for a gold medal is just stupid.

9:30 a.m. - Just to be clear... an Xbox marathon is not the same as a real marathon and is not an Olympic event.  Also, this "happier than Gallagher at a farmer's market" commercial ruled.  I think it was Geico?

9:15 a.m. - Looks like a long day of basketball is on the schedule, but I'm about to check out and do some non-computer stuff. Hopefully I'll catch Team USA when they're on.

8:55 a.m. - NBC Sports just showed a great piece on the 1996 USA Gymnasts who defeated Russia for the gold medal when Kerri Strug did her final vault after hurting her leg. I think it was Meredith Vieira doing the interviews and narrating.  If you can find it online or anything you should check it out.

7:45 a.m. - Handball overtime with Hungary and Iceland.  But more importantly... does Old Spice have an ad campaign that says "Believe in your SMELF"??  I'm trying to write and commercials are the best time to do that.  But it's hard to concentrate with such stupidity on the TV.  Believe in your Smelf is worse than the DVD kiosk, the military DVDs, and all the bad blogathon commercials combined.

7:20 a.m. - Handball is a pretty funny sport too.  If I had known about this growing up, I know my brothers and I would've been firing mini-basketballs at our sofa until like 2:00 in the morning.  My main problem with it is that it has a clock that counts up instead of down.  I don't like these up-counting clocks because I never know when it's about to end and when I should get excited.

I am not an Olympics expert. I am a fan of baseball, football and basketball. I like to watch other sports, even if I do not know what is going on, and the Olympics are fun to watch. If my thoughts upset you in any way, feel free to comment or ignore me.

No comments: