Thursday, October 3, 2013

MLB Doesn't Have Time for the NFL

So earlier this year, the NFL tried to bully the Baltimore Orioles into moving a baseball game that had already been scheduled for months. The Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens needed the area cleared, you see, so the lowly baseball team would have to vacate the premises. Seems logical, right? Except the Orioles said no! It's like one of those youtube videos where the bully gets knocked out. No one saw it coming.

Well now it seems baseball has punched out the bully again. If I want to watch the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders this weekend, I get to tune in for a 10:30 p.m. kickoff! (That's 11:30 for Wedge and our east coast friends!) Why?  Because an Oakland A's Saturday night playoff game will delay the process of converting the field.

I honestly don't know what kind of conversation went down, and I haven't paid much attention this week. However, while Saturday baseball could easily be played at 11:00 a.m. or noon, leaving plenty of time for a normal Sunday kickoff, it seems like MLB officials sort of had their way here.

I see this from three sides:

A. As a huge baseball fan, I'm proud of the victory! We rule.

B. As a football fan, I really don't care when the Chargers and Raiders have to play their game.

C. Most importantly, as a fantasy football fan who starts Philip Rivers on an undefeated, first place team... what the hell?? If my fantasy matchup comes down to this game, I will now likely be watching Monday morning football!

No comments: