Friday, October 18, 2013

Petit Post-Qualifying


The NASCAR East K&N Series is now on track, after a (very) fast (as in, brief) and furious (mostly from drivers who managed to get held up by traffic in a session with only 10 or so cars on track) qualifying session. I can't remember off the top of my head who took pole for all five classes (and, seriously, if you're coming to GBS for racing news, you probably think racing season just started like two weeks ago), but I can confirm that watching any amount or type of racing action at Road Atlanta is an experience that should be grabbed with both hands.

I've been watching races from here on TV for some 21-22 years now. I knew that it was hilly here. I was not prepared.


There are SEVERAL areas where the cars go through elevation changes of 30-40 feet or more in a couple hundred yards. By the same token, the spectator walking areas go through elevation changes that are at least as steep, and even more so in a couple of spots. I won't have to feel too bad about eating a bunch of fried food this weekend, as I'll be working it off as I go. Literally.

What are we going to see tomorrow? Obvious: a bunch of fast, incredible sounding (the Ferrari 458 Italia might be the most spectacular sounding race car I've ever heard...and that includes CART, F1, NASCAR and all the other sports cars I've seen over the years) cars. Also obvious: some very tight action among a wide variety of manufacturers (if memory serves, the GT class boasts four different makes in the top-4 in qualifying). And the Prototype classes might be thin in car count, but they are incredibly fast. And close in speed.

Tomorrow, though? Will probably belong to these guys:


Or these guys:

Time to gloat...I have both front row qualifiers, Neel Jani AND Lucas Luhr on my All Racing Fantasy League team. BOOYAH! 7th to 1st in one weekend, I can feel it!

Or not. Whatever happens, though, we're in for something special tomorrow. Stay tuned.

No comments: