Sunday, January 31, 2021

GBS at the Movies - Full Out 2: You Got This!


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At 8:30 a.m. EST, I'll be live-blogging another definite classic film, Full Out 2: You Got This! You can watch along on Netflix if you're around this morning, or just stop by later for all my thoughts on this new blockbuster.

-----

OK, starting NOW! Let's go Full Out!

 -----

 I'm officially going full out now. And the university of Oklahoma looks bigger than my hometown.

.....

So, I bet at some point, someone will NOT be going full out. And it's likely that a whole group of people will not be going full out. And then some coach will be like, "Guys! You need to go Full Out!" And then they will. And then they'll be better at the gymnastics stuff.

.....

This dance teacher (or something) just said she WON'T make them go full out. I'M SORRY, WHAT? Dance sucks then. In gymnastics, we go FULL OUT. 

.....

So, currently, I think the gymnastics team is TRYING to go full out, but they're falling down and stuff. They want to win a national championship, but they might have to actually go full out to do it.

.....

I've never seen the first Full Out, by the way. But also, if there's another sequel, I think it should be called Full Out 3: You Got This 2!

.....

This guy is explaining his planned comic book, and really, no one cares. He probably won't even go full out with it anyway. Unless it's a comic about this gymnastics team, who eventually WILL (I assume) go full out.

.....

I know this is a movie about gymnastics, so I don't wanna sound dumb when I say this. But... This is a LOT of gymnastics. Like, there are little plot points here and there, and then they'll have a minute-long sequence of girls flipping and stuff. Imagine a baseball movie where there is a brief scene and then dudes taking batting practice, and it just rotates like that.

.....

Oh boy! We're breakdancing now! Is someone gonna learn how to go full out in gymnastics by first learning how to breakdance?? Seems like the natural progression to me!

.....

Ok, the coach almost did it! This year's theme is going full... THROTTLE. I mean, that's basically full out!

.....

Oh, and the coach is bad at acting.

.....

There's our first Boomer Sooner.

.....

In order to be a good gymnast, you have to be a good dancer?? Really? So obviously, there will be a lot of dancing in this film. As far as I'm concerned, it is now officially Full Out 2: Electric Boogaloo.

.....

This movie is really bad. Really really bad. I'll acknowledge, however, that for kids who are like 10 years old and really into gymnastics (and/or dancing), it's probably watchable. And that may be the only positive thing I say about it in this entire post.

.....

Um, we're country line dancing at some kind of dance recital thing. I don't think that really happens. There's also one dude on stage singing and playing a guitar; no other band members are present, yet we hear all the other instruments.

.....

Oh, ok. This one dancer just did some flips. So obviously at one point, she will end up on the gymnastics team. Going full out, naturally.

.....

I thought the geek dude's shirt said STONER CHEMISTRY. But it's just Sooner Chemistry instead. Probably the most popular shirt on campus, I'm sure.

.....

Whoa, wait. This one girl wants to leave the team to go try out for the Olympics. That's going a little TOO full out! Now she's gotta leave the team. (I guess it's good that they just saw that dancer doing all the flips last night?)

.....

Oh hey, it's Nadia. Netflix distribution achieved.

.....

Our best player wants to go to the Olympics!

"Please tell me you're joking."

"I wish I were."

.....

Dancer in the gym. "Do you have any tips for her on the beams?" Oh yeah, cause if you're a dancer, you can just walk into a gym and give gymnastics lessons.

.....

Now the coach said "full steam ahead." Still no full out! Oh, and we've had three Boomer Sooners now.

.....

"She's pretty dope." And now we're dancing in the library!

.....

Look, if the Sooners don't win the national championship, I hope everyone looks back at all the dancing they've been doing. Cause you know what LSU and Florida's gymnasts aren't doing right now? Dancing in the library.

.....

The coach isn't happy! No one is doing gymnastics well at all. Tell them to go full out! Tell them!

.....

Man. 9 a.m. at the North Oval? No way! This coach is a hard ass! (I had music theory classes that were over by 9 a.m., coach.)

And STILL no full out! But we ARE dancing again.

.....

"Oklahoma? Hi, we're Netflix. Can we film a gymnastics movie at your school?"

"Yes, but only if you promote our dance program as well."

"Deal. We'll make it a gymnastics movie that's actually about dancing."

.....

Dancer to dancer:

"She wants to get down with us."

"When the boys are done."

Plot twist... The boys are never done! We dance 24/7! Go make us sandwiches!

.....

I remember when I worked in the football dorm in college and how all the football players would spend all their time at the baseball field, learning about baseball and challenging each other in random baseball activities.

.....

More bad music alert! These are the best days of our lives! Cause life will never top breakdancing in a courtyard on a college campus in Norman, Oklahoma!

.....

Boomer Sooner #4. (I'd abbreviate that to B.S., but it wouldn't be very clear what I'm referring to in this post.)

.....

Going to a party. Oh yeah. College party time. I'm ready. Oh... it's a dance battle party. Boy, I went to SO MANY of these in college.

.....

Guys, I lied. I didn't go to a lot of dance parties in college, ok?

.....

Guys, I lied. I really didn't go to many parties at all in college, dance or otherwise.

.....

Guys, I lied. The only parties I went to in college were the ones I threw on my floor when I was an R.A. And people only came because I would get the big 6-foot subs and plates of cookies from Subway. Looking back, if I'd made them breakdance before taking cookies, I wouldn't have had to lie to everyone on my sports blog 20 years later.

.....

"Netflix liked our movie pitch. Unfortunately, we only have about 30 minutes of stuff filmed. How can we give them a 90-minute film?"

"Let me ask you this: Can you get 45 minutes of dancing footage and maybe 15 minutes of gymnastics stuff?"

"Yes! Great idea! WE GOT THIS."

.....

There's 18 minutes left. I don't know if I can take 16:43 more scenes of dancing.

.....

Maybe they can go outside and film some kids playing hackeysack or something? Just switch it up, you know?

.....

We just met famous people named Impact and Villain. I don't even know if they're real or not. But at least we switched from random dancing to gymnastics again for a minute.

.....

Wait. The geek dude didn't know his new girlfriend was on the gymnastics team? The only thing less believable than this is the fact that like 12 people (and no other teams?) are here at the national championships. (Edit: Some shots do now appear to show other teams and something resembling an audience.)

.....

"I told you you'd get your chance, Natalie! (I knew that girl would break her ankle and the coach would have no choice but to actually let you compete!)"

.....

I'm watching this gymnastics national championship play out in the last eight minutes of a movie that is supposedly based on a true story, yet all I can think is, "Man, I wonder what those dancers are doing right now." Cause that's the movie they've given us! A dance movie with a side story about gymnastics.

.....

We finally got a "You got this"! I don't know if we ever got a "full out"?

Two more Boomer Sooners though!

.....

Look, real footage of the real-life team. What about real footage of the breakdancers on campus?? Show us!

Oh... More line dancing. Cool.

.....

Ok, in the closing credits, although it's MORE dancing, we get to see the actors dancing with the gymnasts they're each portraying in the film, which is cool. We also learn that one of the kids is an actual Special Olympics gold medalist and that the real OU coach is pretty funny. 10/10 for the credits sequence.

.....

Well, I did it again. I definitely went full out this time. Thanks to everyone who followed along! 

No comments: