Friday, February 6, 2009

2009 MLB Preview: Pitsburgh Pirates

Pittsburgh Pirates









IF (2.5/5) - This infield is average and does not seem to have much depth. Adam Laroche has proven he can hit; Andy Laroche has not. Wilson and Sanchez are OK and Doumit provided good offense for a catcher. Vazquez could end up starting at 3B?

OF (2.5/5) - McClouth can play. I really don't know what to make of Hinske at this point. Is he a .200 hitter or a .300 hitter? As of now, I guess Moss or Pearce will start. Morgan provides decent powerless back-up.

SP (1.5/5) - They just gave this Maholm guy like $15 million and he's 30-35 in his career? I guess 9-9/3.71 for last year's team is noteworthy, but I don't know about $15 million worth. But whoa... Duke, Snell and the rest of these guys make the Brewers rotation look like Dream Team 09!

RP (2/5) - Has the potential to not be terrible... but then how often are they going to be used? Capps and Grabow can get outs.

Wildcards: Karstens, Gorzelanny, Vazquez

Can they beat the Brewers? No. Unfortunately, even the Brewers should crush this team.

[Disclaimer: I do not claim to be an expert on your team. I think it's fun to do this stuff before a season starts and then see how close (or how far off) I was. If you spend time from your day insulting us, telling others to insult us, or posting in a blog or messageboard about how wrong our opinions are, then we are flattered!]

1 comment:

Louise said...

Pittsburgh Pirates should be always competitive enough to keep pace with the others. I really like them; they’ve always been my favourite teams in MLB. Just read about them here:
http://www.piratesdaily.com