Friday, March 20, 2009

2009 MLB Preview: San Diego Padres

San Diego Padres

IF (2.5/5) - There are some problems here. Gonzales and Kouzmanoff are set at the corners, but the middle is a concern. Edgar Gonzales (Adrian's brother) played some 2B last year, but it looks like they're going with Eckstein this year with Luis Rodriguez at SS. Kind of weak. Nick "I'm not related to Todd" Hundley is at catcher.

OF (2.5/5) - Giles has been steady for a while, even if his HRs have dropped. Headley has potential, but seems average so far. I can't believe they're expecting Gerut to be a healthy contributor, but he's penciled in as the lead-off hitter right now. Floyd and Hairston provides some depth, and with Gerut, they're sure to need it.

SP (2.5/5) - According to my Nationals preview, I'm currently in their rotation, which is unfortunate, because San Diego could probably use me too. After Peavy, Young, and Baek, the next two spots are still wide open. Too bad it's not 2003, cause then it'd be significant for me to add that Mark Prior is technically on this team. (I'd actually LOVE to see him pitch, even if it isn't the dominant Prior we all remember.)

RP (2/5) - The bullpen is kind of a mess too. Bell is going to close. They seem to like Meredith, but he doesn't really worry me as a fan of an opposing team. Hampson and Adams pitched well last year, but Adams is out for a while. Britton is a rejected Yankee, which is saying something.

Wildcards: Prior, Edgar Gonzales, Floyd, Antonelli

[Disclaimer: I do not claim to be an expert on your team. I think it's fun to do this stuff before a season starts and then see how close (or how far off) I was. If you spend time from your day insulting us, telling others to insult us, or posting in a blog or messageboard about how wrong our opinions are, then we are flattered!]

No comments: