Saturday, January 30, 2010

Oilpressure's Tunnel Vision

Whenever I watch the 24 hours of Le Mans and the Rolex 24 at Daytona, I think it must be what a casual fan tuning into the Indianapolis 500 feels – it looks kind of neat but I’m not really sure what I’m watching. I guess you could say I have tunnel vision when it comes to my knowledge of racing. My focus is primarily American open-wheel racing. I used to follow Formula one a lot closer than I do now. I don’t really know why, but I still follow it a little closer than NASCAR. After NASCAR, comes Grand-Am and ALMS – so you can see that my interest and knowledge drops off quite a bit.

 I should probably follow sports car racing more than I do. It is good racing, loaded with technology. I always enjoy watching the two 24-hour races as well as Sebring. However, I don’t follow it flag-to-flag. But I do generally have it on throughout the day (and night) while I do attack other projects around the house.

 I always enjoy this race. I always like to see the pairings of the past and present IndyCar drivers with drivers of other disciplines. The most unusual pairing I can remember was in 2006, when Danica Patrick was paired with Rusty Wallace (enter multiple punch lines here)

 Can the Izod IndyCar Series learn anything from these telecasts on how to promote their races? Probably not. But now that we have a new leader that has never been to an IndyCar race, it may not have been a bad idea to whisk new CEO Randy Bernard down Daytona to at least roam the paddock and learn the difference between “push” and “loose”. At least he will no longer have to watch his step, when he walks through the garage area.

 

George Phillips

 

Bookmark and Share

No comments: